Choosing an MBA Specialization

Write, discuss on any topic that interests you. Make yourself heard!

Postby Alum_06 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 pm

I am often asked why I chose to do PMIR course at XLRI while having 98.94 percentile in CAT and offers from other top B-schools in India. For me, the answer was simple. I wanted to start my own business and I desperately wanted to build an organization with happy employees. Based on my work experience in my job after engineering in a software company, I had realized that if you can keep your employees happy, the organization is bound to do well. Hence, I wanted to learn more about myself and others. I wanted to understand why people behave the way they behave. Then I studied the courses being taught in PMIR. I found many of them as per my requirement which would help me learn what I wanted to learn. Today, when I look back, I think it was a right choice and all my learning at XLRI is helping me build my kind of organization, which I have just started.

So, how does one actually choose a particular specialization for doing his/her MBA? I suggest every MBA aspirant should first think about his/her ideal job. A job that will be motivating enough to get them back to office every morning. Once you know what you want from your ideal job, the next step is to understand the options available. For this, my suggestion is to speak to your seniors, uncles, or anyone else you know who is working as a Finance Manager or Area Sales Manager, just for example. This will give you an idea of what kind of work might be available after doing MBA in Finance or Sales respectively. While talking to these people, also inquire about the work being done by their colleagues in the same department. Your simple question to them should be “Can you describe your 10 hours at work yesterday or today?”. Once you have this basic information about your wishlist and the options available, just see whether what you want is available in market. If yes, then strive for the best institute offering that course. And if not, then well, be prepared to create it. Two years of MBA will give you enough exposure, resources and like minded people to create your own job.

All the best!!
- About the author

Postby jerdalia » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:46 am

Very good idea

Re: Choosing an MBA Specialization

Postby coldautumn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am

I agree. You should first think about your target career before choosing to pursue further studies. This way, you have an end goal in mind.

Return to The Hangout