Why MBA after B-tech?

Post your questions here and our MBA alumni team will answer them promptly. While all questions are welcome, specific ones are appreciated. Asking 'How do I study for CAT', will result in a reply with a Google link.

Why MBA after B-tech?

Postby rahulr92 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a post-graduate course of choice for people coming from various educational backgrounds. The rapid changes in technology and increasingly global markets have resulted in organizations trying to optimize their productivity and competitiveness by giving importance to the management and organisational aspects of the company. Thus there is an increasing need for MBA graduates majoring in Marketing, Finance, Management, or other disciplines. This article explains the relevance of MBA for fresh B-tech graduates as well as presently employed engineers.
B-tech graduates presently have job opportunities in the technical section of companies. But when it comes to post graduate studies, they are really confused regarding whether to opt for MBA or M.tech. Actually this decision depends on the students interest. First try to understand your interest and then take appropriate course. If one is interested in learning and working in such a technical field, he/she can either start working in a technical post right away or proceed to take M-Tech and later on, possibly, a Ph.D. You can also go in for teaching profession after M-Tech.

But choosing MBA after B-tech is recommended if you fall in any of the following category:
Looking for ‘big’ money. The hard fact is that those who do the actual work get paid far less than those who 'manage' them.
Interested in pursuing a career in a managerial role in a company. This applies to freshers who have completed B-tech and also working engineering graduates looking for a career change. MBA will help in making the job transition easier.
If you wish to be an entrepreneur and is planning to put up your own business.

Following are the field in which you can choose your MBA specialization :
  • Marketing
  • Human Resources (HR)
  • Systems
  • Finance
  • Retail
  • Health Care
  • Hospitality & Tourism
  • Communication
  • Entrepreneurship

MBA helps you to expand your career to its fullest, within a short period. The key advantages of doing an MBA programme include acquiring management skills, new contacts and a brand value. The management skills to be gained include economics, finance, marketing, operations, management, and accounting, as well as the qualities of leadership, teamwork and work ethics. In an MBA programme, the student gets exposed to a wider network outside his current field of expertise including a network of MBA students, alumni, faculty, and business and industry leaders. This can help you build business relationships in your current career These are especially useful for an entrepreneur who needs access to capital and contacts to possible clients, partners and market. The brand associated with your MBA school is decisive in the range of job opportunities as well as the pay scale. The reputation of a B-school is based on the standard of the courses offered, the placements obtained by previous students and the reach of its alumni. Being associated with a reputed brand gives you a wider career scope and easier switchablity . A quality MBA program is also guaranteed to be a powerful life experience which can enhance the personality of the student. Also, in the real world industry, it in not always your skills and knowledge that counts but also your educational qualifications and their associated brand value.

Having said that MBA will definitely be a value addition to an engineering graduate, we can now consider when the post-graduate course should be taken. It is possible to get admission to a renowned B-school right after B-tech through its entrance exams, but this is not the most optimal route. In a managerial position, you will have to manage engineers and people in similar technical posts. So if you have a hand-on experience in working as a technical staff, you will have a better understanding of their situation and can manage them more efficiently. The other consideration is that the chances of getting a seat in one of the top B-schools is more if you have a few years of work experience. An ideal option is to get at-least three years of work experience with your B-tech and then join a MBA programme. In such a case, you will also be able to fund the somewhat hefty fees for your MBA programme from your own employment savings.

The question ‘Why MBA after B-tech?’ is also a frequent interview question during MBA admission. If faced with such a question, you can answer it in many ways, two of which are given here. Always have in mind that the interviewer is looking for honest answers with a bit of sophistication.
Case1: You are looking to advance your present career.
Possible Answer: I strive to continue my present career path and wish to take it to the next level, thereby taking up bigger responsibilities and roles. My current qualifications are limiting my possibilities. A post-graduate course in MBA can help expand my career horizon and propel me forward. I do understand that not all skills can be acquired through the course and that work experience is a necessity.

Case2: You are looking to switch careers.
Possible Answer: I am interested in trying out new realms of work, by a switch in career. This MBA will help me make the transition from my present career a smooth one. I understand that I would require many other skills and experience alongside. (Explain for how long you were planning this career transition, what all preparations you have done for this objective and why you think that you are suitable for it. )
If possible, elaborate on the answer in such a manner that it helps you to diminish your weaknesses and emphasizes your strengths.Then the interviewer can be lead away to your domain of expertise.

Finally,if you decide to do a post-graduate programme in MBA, then there are various selection exams like CAT, XAT, MAT which govern the admission to Indian B-schools. In India IIMs top the list of the ranking for MBA training. Xavier's Institute, Goa Institute, Amrita Business School are some of the other top institutes in the country.

Young Leaders Programme at ISB

Postby admin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:06 pm

We are pleased to announce that the Young Leaders Programme (YLP) is now open for admissions 2013. The YLP is a challenging foundation programme for talented undergraduates in their pre-final year. The key aspects of admissions into YLP are:

• Guaranteed admission to ISB’s Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP)
• Learning sessions by ISB faculty & industry leaders
• Mentorship programmes with senior ISB experts
• Scholarship of INR 1 lakh
• Network building

Eligibility Criteria: The candidate must be in the pre-final year of graduation in any discipline with a strong academic performance, great extra-curricular record and a well-rounded personality. For example, for a student in a 4-year degree programme, he/she should apply in the 3rd year of the course.

To know more about YLP, please click here.

You may pass on this information generously to your friends and family who may be interested in the ISB’s YLP. For any further queries regarding YLP, please write to

ylp@isb.edu or
call at 1800 103 3234.

Return to Questions and Answers office