It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:24 pm

All times are UTC + 5:30 hours

Topic: MBA in India Vs MBA abroad - US / UK
PostCurrent-ness: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:13 pm 
Dear sir,

I'm a B.E. from Indira Gandhi University, with 3 years of work experience. Over the past 6-8 months, I've also been working as a module leader. I believe I can get a good GMAT score, and have been involved in many extra curricular activities. I believe I can qualify for both top Indian MBA schools, as well as foreign ones. Considering the recent developments in the US/UK, I'm now confused between the 2 choices. What do you suggest?

Report this post Reply with quote  
 Topic: Re: MBA in India Vs MBA in US/UK
PostCurrent-ness: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

Current since: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:19 pm
Answers: 221
Thank you for your query.

I can understand your state of mind. The recent developments are indeed of unprecedented magnitude and severity, and are bound to give jitters to anyone thinking of making a substantial investment an MBA is. That said, please understand that you do (are supposed to do) the MBA only once. And you must choose a school that's a best-fit for your needs and career goals. I'll answer your question by briefly giving a summary of pros and cons of an Indian MBA Vs a foreign one.

1. Rankings and global recognition.
Let's face it - No Indian school, except the ISB, features among the top 50 list in the world. I'm not saying that one should follow the rankings, but it's also true that one cannot completely ignore this data. After all, substantial amount of thought and research is put into calculating those numbers. However, that doesn't make a school ranked 5th better than one ranked 10th, for all students. Different people have different needs from an MBA course, and you must sincerely decide why a particular school is a fit for you.

Coming to the India Vs Abroad question, I feel the Indian schools will be a natural choice if your career goal is India-centric.

2. Experienced, diverse and mature class.
The Indian MBA is a great option for people with less (below 5 years of) work experience, but know that they want a career in management. A class with 40% freshers and 70% engineers is a typical MBA class in an Indian school. If this is a disturbing fact to you, you must consider an MBA from abroad. Peer networking is an important aspect of an MBA course, and sadly Indian MBA may not offer much of it to you considering your profile. However, this doesn't mean that Indian schools 'produce' any lesser-MBAs or do not offer quality environment. It's just that for an Indian MBA graduate, it takes a bit longer to 'reap' the true benefit of an MBA.

3. Cost!!
Studying and living abroad can be expensive, and typically a foreign MBA will cost you anywhere from 2-10 times a top Indian MBA. However, the recent fee hikes and inflation in India *may* make it costlier than a foreign MBA, if you qualify for a scholarship or a fee waiver. The international schools have vast resources and funding available at their disposal, and can lure a deserving candidates with loads of 'goodies'. Sadly, the Indian schools are not as scholarship-rich. An MBA abroad may cost you anywhere from Rs. 20 to 50 lakh, whereas an Indian MBA will set you back by Rs. 5 to 20 lakh. However, if you apply wisely you may qualify for 20% to 100% fee reduction.

In my opinion, cost should be a low-priority criteria if you strongly feel a need for an MBA, and that from a particular school. Education is always the best investment you can make, regardless of the market conditions.

4. Job prospects.
Unlike the day-0 placement rituals that happen in India, a job will not be served to you on a silver plate in the International MBA schools. You will have to assess the job role, companies you wish to work for, search for jobs, and apply for them on your own. This puts your networking skills at test. It involves a lot of self-work, initiative on your part. Although companies do visit the campus, job offers are seldom given then and there. This may be a bit discomforting fact to an assurity seeking Indian mind, but I feel this cannot be considered as any 'risk'. You need to be prepared for this small uncertainty.

5. Take Action.
If you are planning to apply for May to July 2012, or September to November 2012 admission sessions, free support is available to help you manage your applications.

Profile Send private message  
 Topic: Re: MBA in India Vs MBA abroad - US / UK
PostCurrent-ness: Sun May 17, 2009 4:07 pm 
hi, i ve got an u.s mba admits with full scholarships and indian admit from decent b-school in mumbai. if my ultimate aim is to settle in india and the time frame to return to india will be 2 years after my mba then will u.s mba exposure help me or is it better if i do my mba in india?

Topic: MBA in India Vs MBA abroad
PostCurrent-ness: Sun May 17, 2009 10:44 pm 
That would depend on the relative reputation (essentially, the ranking) of the two schools. If the US school which is offering you a place isn't well-known in India, settling in India can be difficult. But if you decide to come back after working abroad for a while, this (graduating from a US school) wouldn't matter. International exposure is certainly a must-have for everyone.

Topic:
PostCurrent-ness: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:31 pm 
For funding options and scholarships, checkout:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=272

PostCurrent-ness: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 pm 
hi am doing b.sc in hotel manegement from distance education. i want to doing msc or mba abroad. tell me how.

PostCurrent-ness: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:18 pm 
Hello sir,
My name is Narendra. I m from Nashik city.
I am Just s.y.b.com appear but i will complete my undergraduate in next year.
so i want to do mba.
but i cant take right decision. i was in very confusion that which i choose the right and best college for mba.
can you help me?

My email id is njavheri@yahoo.com

PostCurrent-ness: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 am 

Current since: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:10 am
Answers: 4
I also want to study abroad but I am doing this because I want a change in environment.

Profile Send private message  
PostCurrent-ness: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:33 pm 
Hello sir !!
I am doing my BE in IT from Chhatishgarh from SSECT , which is a very ordinary college and it is not affiliated to a very reputed university.

but after my BE I want to do MBA abroad from a very good b- school in may be US or UK .so will this my past academic records will be a determining factor in my admissions.???

PostCurrent-ness: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:02 pm 
hello sir/mam,
i am really in a messy state . i am in my 6 th sem of b.tech and i really want to pursue mba but my interest in to go for mba at global level meaning from top b schools but what problem i am facing is of work experience . please help me by providing any solution to my problem . please do suggest me some colleges or any top b school programs which do suit me. i have given the gmat my score is 760. i have done extra curricular also . i have been part of team working over website making.