MBA DISTANCE LEARNING

Post your questions here and our MBA alumni team will answer them promptly. While all questions are welcome, specific ones are appreciated. Asking 'How do I study for CAT', will result in a reply with a Google link.

MBA DISTANCE LEARNING

Postby Aishwarya » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Dear Sir,

I am working in a company now. I want to do MBA in Distance learning. I checked the websites. But i didnt get any relevant information. I am in some confusions now. whether MBA in distance learning is value or not. I thought of doing PGDHRM in distance learning and i thought of trying in Executive MBA in IIM. Some of them told that 2 yrs of experience is enough for EMBA. But in website it is written that 5 yrs of work experience is necessary. I really want to know the correct details.
a) Wheteher is it good to do distance MBA?
b) Or doing any PG course in Management and then go for EMBA?
c) Details of Distance MBA and the website to check the details.

Please help me if possible..

Thanks and Regards,
Aishwarya

Re: MBA DISTANCE LEARNING

Postby ravi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 am

Hi Aishwarya

Let me answer your queries one by one.

Depends on how you define "good". If you are referring to a good placement after the course, it entirely depends on the college conducting the course. Generally top bschools like IIMs/XLRI have a higher chance of placement than others.

It also depends on your networking skills during the course as many people from different companies come for the course. You need to build relationships with them to explore opportunities in their companies

I would like to know more about your career aspirations before I can help you with this query.

You need to check out the individual websites of different b-schools like www.xlri.ac.in, www.iimb.ernet.in etc for details.

Regards,
Ravi

Postby Alum_03 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm

You can take a distance-education MBA such as offered by Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi (http://www.ignou.ac.in) and All India Management Association (http://www.aima-ind.org). Online or satellite-based management courses usually lead to a post-graduate certificate, not MBA. You could consider the executive MBA at a prominent business school or take up the programme offered by the Indian School of Business, Hyderabad (http://www.isb.edu). Part-time MBA programs can only be pursued in the city where you are located. Hence, keep track of the admission notifications in the prominent dailies to identify suitable choices. A well-structured resume and the services of placement consultants could help in exploring the job market even now.

Source: http://www.financialexpress.com/news/pu ... s/332119/1

MBA in International Business - IIFT, New Delhi

Postby admin » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Post Graduate Certificate Program in International Business- IIFT, New Delhi

The duration of the program is six months. There will be 6 days intense campus visits conducted at the IIFT campus during the program. The program will be delivered through classes held at NIIT Imperia Centres for Advanced Learning, once a week, as per the following schedule: Sunday 9.00 am to 4.00 pm.

Working Professionals with minimum 3 years of experience and having a graduation degree ( 10+2+3 or equivalent) in any discipline can apply for this program.

More: http://www.niitimperia.com/course/progr ... lhi-2.html

Postby aniketagg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:43 pm

I am working in a company now. I want to do MBA in Distance learning. I checked the websites. But i didnt get any relevant information. I am in some confusions now. whether MBA in distance learning is value or not. I thought of doing PGDHRM in distance learning and i thought of trying in Executive MBA in IIM. Some of them told that 2 yrs of experience is enough for EMBA. But in website it is written that 5 yrs of work experience is necessary. I really want to know the correct details.

Dear Aishwarya,

To be honest, I don't think MBA in distance learning has great value. It is better to be an executive/part-time MBA where you attend in weekends. In fact, IIMs, IITs, XLRI, IIFT all provide such options. This is because the course won't be of value if you don't have interactivity with the professors.

Since you asked for a link for distance MBA, I can give you the link to third-party website that runs studios and learning centres through which they run interactoive classes. My sister is doing her course through this: hugheseducation.com

As far as I know, NIIT and Educomp also provide similar services, but don't know the details.

Hope it helps; tell me if it doesn't.

Postby aniketagg » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:26 pm

Aishwarya,

a) There's nothing bad in itself in doing MBA from distance learning (DL), but it is my opinion that it lacks two of the most important things that one gains from Exec MBA/full time: (most importantly) interactivity & networking with the class & professors; the drive to study.

Therefore, I don't see much point in DL MBA (in fact, some cases have sprung up where people were found to be running DL from home without any qualified professors).

On the other hand, if you don't want to leave your present job (which is a very sane decision), it will be very good to go for Executive MBA, which is part time MBA; classes held on the weekend.

b) Doing a PG course in management and then going in for EMBA is redundant and a duplication of efforts.

c) A no. of reputed colleges like IIMs, IITs, IIFT, XLRI, MICA etc. do provide EMBA courses - both at their own campus and through two-way video conferencing. The point about their campus option is fairly obvious, but it is their video-conferencing that takes the cake. Basically they have tie-ups with some third-party (e.g. Hughes, NIIT, Educomp) which sets up their conference through satellites.

Regarding the minimum no. of years of experience required:

It depends on the specific course you want to go in for. The thing about EMBA is that there are many many options depending on your needs. E.g. there's an EMBA in office management that requires 0 experience and EMBA for CEOs that requires 15 years experience...
you get what I mean. So, check your suitability.

Regarding websites with info: http://www.hugheseducation.com/

MBA DISTANCE LEARNING

Postby Itaviovonnarp » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:22 am

Hi Mounica,

Why dont you consider an MBA in IT from SICSR or SCIT? I would suggest you do a full time program before you go on to a job. Both these institutes will offer fantastic opportunities after you pass out.

For getting into both these programs, you will have to appear for SNAP.

And yes, for an MBA through Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning you dont have to appear for SNAP.

Thanks,
Shardul

Return to Questions and Answers office