MBA in oil & gas / Ms in management specialized in oilfield

Post your questions here and our MBA alumni team will answer them promptly. While all questions are welcome, specific ones are appreciated. Asking 'How do I study for CAT', will result in a reply with a Google link.

Re: MBA in Oil and Gas industry sector

Postby ashish » Sun May 10, 2009 12:32 pm

Dear Sir,
I have been working with Bureau Veritas (Inspection agency) in Dubai as a Surveyor / Inspector for the last 4 years & I am a Mechanical Engineer by qualification. But I didn't have a very good academic track record in my engineering, plus i don't have any managerial or business experience, since mine is a field job. I have few professional qualifications like Welding Inspector from The Welding Institute, UK & some NDT qualifications related to my profession & approval for inspections from some oil companies like Saudi Aramco.

Still I wish to apply to institutes specializing in Oil & Gas, I am very keen to apply to Robert Gordon University as it is located in Aberdeen which in turn is a hub for Oil & Gas sector.
What do you think are my chances to gain a entry into RGU? Besides, do you have any idea about their placements as I would be leaving my permanent job to do a full time mba & would be looking for a new job.
Awaiting your reply.

Thanks & Rgds,

Ashish.

Applying to Robert Gordon University

Postby Moderator_04 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 pm

A lot of factors such as clarity and quality of your essays, test scores, extra-curricular activities play role in the admission process. Work hard to get a good GMAT score, and spend time on your essays to increase your chances of admission. Check the typical admitted student profile, and see if you fit in, with your level of experience and test scores.

Ask for the last year's placement report to the admission committee of the school. They may send it to you by email.

MBA in oil & gas / Ms in management specialized in oilfield

Postby Swapnil » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 am

I am a 2009 Passout from Pune university and looking for an MS/MBA course in Oil and gas engg.
Currently i am working with A leading MNC with the research and development department since july, but not in the oil & gas field.
Can anyone suggest me good universities in UK for the course mentioned.
And also tell me about I2IT Pune.

Awaiting ur reply
Swapnil

Re: MBA in oil & gas / Ms in management specialized in oilfield

Postby OILGUY » Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 am

Hi,
I am an Industrial Production Engineer from UP-technical university(1st class),was working in manufacturing and then marketing.Now i'm joining UPES,Dehradun(oil and gas management programme) as i wish to join an oil&gas PSU.PSUs like HPCL,BPCL do visit the campus but in all the PSUs hire about 20% of the batch and the overall placement is about 60%.
If u somehow lie in the unlucky other 40% then what wud be the options available with me to sustain a career.?I dont have any work ex in oil and gas industry....
please shed some light on my problem.

Regards

Re: MBA in oil & gas / Ms in management specialized in oilfield

Postby mbaog » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi, I have a similar question. i am an Instrumentation engineer with above 4 years of experince in Process control and Industrial automation. I have field experince working for some of the reputed oil and gas company both in india and outside.

SPM (IIPM), Gandinagar has started a new course, executive MBA in oil and gas sector, which is a 15 months full time course. Do you thing it will be a good idea to go for it?

Re: Ms in management / MBA specialized in oilfield, oil & gas

Postby vegetablevn » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Moderator_04 wrote:This is certainly a grave matter, and I'd advise you to be truthful in the way you represent your candidacy to the school, in every aspect. Misrepresentation of facts would revoke your admission / degree.

The best course of action is to pay up the bond amount and get the experience letter from the employer, or get them to waive the due amount citing convincing and true reasons for your behavior (if you can do this, you don't need an MBA!).

Other option is to represent the facts as they are, to the school. I don't believe not having the relieving letter would debar you from applying. Don't be tempted to present yourself as 1 year experienced candidate, and hide your history. What you did in the period between your graduation and joining the second employer, would be a very obvious question in your interview.

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Previous

Return to Questions and Answers office