MBA in oil & gas / Ms in management specialized in oilfield

Post your questions here and our MBA alumni team will answer them promptly. While all questions are welcome, specific ones are appreciated. Asking 'How do I study for CAT', will result in a reply with a Google link.

MBA in oil & gas / Ms in management specialized in oilfield

Postby akanksha » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi,

I am working with Schlumberger since last 1.5 yrs as field engineer. I have done B.Tech in mechanical engg. from IIT-Delhi. I want to pursue MS in some management/MBA course related/specialized in oilfield. so that my work ex with Schlumberger can be useful in my career after MS.

Regards
Akanksha

Re: MBA in Oil & Gas, Energy sector

Postby Moderator_04 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:01 pm

Thank you for your query.

Considering your academic background and non-traditional career history (which is looked upon very positively, as you'd be making the MBA class profile diverse and rich), I'm tempted to recommend a top, internationally renowned school for you... if only you were a bit more experienced. To stand a good chance of admission into most top foreign MBA schools, you need at least 3 years of experience. If you can wait for a few more years, that'll result in a more mature and meaningful MBA experience for you.

Also, it is not absolutely necessary to look at a specialized MBA in the Oil and Gas sector. Most top international and Indian schools don't offer this specialization, and that means you'll have to look for a second-tier school. You'll be taking some risk doing so. The quality of your fellow classmates, even the faculty, infrastructure, career opportunities post-MBA can be poor.

I'm assuming that you wish to continue in the Energy sector post-MBA. May I ask what your motivation, expectation from the MBA course is? Oil & Gas is not a typical MBA-demanding sector (unlike Finance, Consulting, FMCG Marketing, etc). If you're looking at better people management capabilities, you can consider XLRI, TISS. If your budget is large (over Rs. 20 lakhs), consider the ESSEC, France. It has an MBA program suited for less experienced professionals.

Coming to your original question about MBA in Energy sector, there do exist a few options for you (listed below). But, I'd really recommend a general MBA program from the IIMs or other top international schools. Do post more information reg. your motivation for the course, post-MBA career goals, budget, and I may be able to guide you better.

• NPTI, Faridabad (focused on Electric Power)
  • University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun
  • IPMG, Gujarat

Re: Ms in management / MBA specialized in oilfield, oil & gas

Postby akanshakumarbe » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi,
With refernce to the previous post "But, I'd really recommend a general MBA program from the IIMs or other top international schools" why did you say so. Is there any specific reason.

Can you please tell me about post mba in Power. If i do MBA in power Mgmt from NPTI what are the profiles i can look at after MBA??.

Regards,
Akansha

Postby Moderator_04 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 pm

The reason is your profile. I believe you can easily get into a top ranked program; if not right away, certainly after 2-3 years. Your choice of MBA in Power may result in a compromise in terms of rankings. While the rankings aren't everything, you carry a certain risk by pursuing a course from relatively unpopular school.

Post MBA, I believe you would be looking at a career in operations management, project management in the energy sector.

Postby mwd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello,
Please advise me too. I have similar work experience, but I hv done B.E. (Electronics & telecom-2007) - 1st class - mumbai university. Also, I am working as a field engineer(Oil field- on oil rigs) in Halliburton with 1 year experience. What chance do I stand to get admits in top B-school like iim's, xlri, etc. in India if I get gr8 marks in CAT? Will my experience be counted? as it is a blue collar experience. Please advise, it is very important for me to know this as i am skeptical about my experience. I want to do MBA as I want to get into management side, not necessarily Oil & gas. Please advise Sir.
I will be thankful if you could reply here, or to my e-mail.

Postby Moderator_04 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Of course your work experience will be counted. Although, the admission would largely depend on how well you do in the tests, as 1 year of work ex. is not relatively substantial. Nevertheless, you're certainly better off than a fresh graduate. It does not matter whether it's a blue collared work experience. In fact, (in my opinion) the on-field work teaches you several important things than an on-desk job. Don't be skeptical / doubtful of your experience, rather be proud of it and jot down what key things you've learnt. Do well in the tests, and apply accordingly.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Thank you for your kind reply sir. Actually, I have 2 years experience, the first one being in a reputed IT firm. However, I do not have the relieving letter & experience letter from the 1st employer. I have payslips & form16. This is because I broke their bond (huge bond amount!) to join as field engineer here. This lapse is bothering me in my MBA endeavors now, since I dont hv exp/relieving letter from 1st employer. Please advise how can I work out my case. I am ready to put all the hard work to get good marks in the tests. Your advice will be taken seriously & might just help me to take right decision.
Have a nice day.

Postby Moderator_04 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:49 pm

This is certainly a grave matter, and I'd advise you to be truthful in the way you represent your candidacy to the school, in every aspect. Misrepresentation of facts would revoke your admission / degree.

The best course of action is to pay up the bond amount and get the experience letter from the employer, or get them to waive the due amount citing convincing and true reasons for your behavior (if you can do this, you don't need an MBA!).

Other option is to represent the facts as they are, to the school. I don't believe not having the relieving letter would debar you from applying. Don't be tempted to present yourself as 1 year experienced candidate, and hide your history. What you did in the period between your graduation and joining the second employer, would be a very obvious question in your interview.

good topic

Postby HolyBat » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:14 am

+1

MBA in Oil and Gas industry sector

Postby Moderator_05 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Some of the foreign schools that offer MBA in Oil and Gas Management are:

The Robert Gordon University
The University of Dundee

Next

Return to Questions and Answers office