MBA for Civil/Construction engineer - Power, Infrastructure

Post your questions here and our MBA alumni team will answer them promptly. While all questions are welcome, specific ones are appreciated. Asking 'How do I study for CAT', will result in a reply with a Google link.

MBA for Civil/Construction engineer - Power, Infrastructure

Postby chris » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:24 am

Hi expert out there,

I am originally from India and currently living in NZ as citizen since last 10 years.

I hold bachelor of civil engineering degree with distinction from india and PG diploma in engineering from NZ. and few other diplomas in computer programing, AutoCAD etc.

I have worked as project manager for entire Auckland division,in one of NZ leading construction company for my full career in NZ, but due to current economic down turn, my company is on the brink of closing down, all the people have been made redundant including me.

Recently I have been trying to get back in to work but situation is very bad out there and employers come back with very common excuse that I am highly qualified for entry level or intermediate level in construction industry.I am still trying though!!

So, looking at whole situation, I decided to go for further study or even change my career for better options. After looking at few options I came to executive MBA program offered by University of petroleum and Gas in India with campus in Dehradun and couple of other places in India. After surfing on web site, I felt this university is highly recognised and well placed and respected among employer as it's placement rate is nearly 100% with international recognition and affiliations.

They offer three executive MBA which are Oil and Gas, Power and Infrastructure and have confirmed my admission criteria and already send me application form etc.

My problem is which one to go for!!!

I am leaning towards oil & gas and infrastructure MBA.

My brother works for leading oil and gas companies all over world and he gave me assurance for job after MBA in oil and gas. But, looking at numerous oil and gas job site I did not see any specific demand for oil and gas MBA candidates, so I am confused.

on the other hand infrastructure is will be in demand in next few years and suits my qualification, experience and skills.

Can anyone advise me please as soon as possible which one would be right choice.

Re: Please Need expert help driving my career in right direction

Postby Moderator_08 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:31 pm

We are not experts; but merely a group of MBA alumni who exercise our freedom of expression with a humble hope that our views may help MBA aspirants make more effective applications, avoiding certain mistakes we did. Do familiarize yourself with T&C the 'About Us' section.

Getting back to your query - do read a thread of MBA in Oil and gas viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105

I feel that your choice for the MBA in Oil and Gas is more of a convenience-based decision, as you feel that you have an assured job in that sector. If this were not true, would you still go for it? Your past work experience and skills perhaps point towards a general MBA or MBA specialized in construction / civil industry.

Secondly, even if you wish to target the Energy sector, the employers seldom demand an MBA specialized in Oil and Gas. It's a plus; not a requisite.

The MBA program by S.P. Jain in Dubai suits you better. Dubai offers a mix of construction and Oil and Gas. Checkout http://www.spjain.org/

Re: MBA for Civil/Construction engineer - Power, Infrastructure

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Don't Confuse Infrastructure with construction,Infrastructure does not means constructing houses and buildings. Its a bigger area as railways, SEZ, Electrical, Airports, Harbors means it is related to a complete city or development of a very large place.

Do Try This:
http://www.akruticityfoundation.edu.in/ ... years.aspx

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1128

Re: MBA for Civil/Construction engineer - Power, Infrastruct

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Hello friend from NZ,

I am a civil engineering student looking for similar opportunities. I have read your message and understood your concerns.
The demand in infrastructure is going to rise as the sector is on a boom.

Fortunately, I came across an institute called RICS School of Built Environment in Noida in affiliation with Amity University.

They offer MBA courses in:

1. Urban Infrastructure
2. Real Estate
3. Construction Management

You must check it out, it might help you. I am actually considering this as a strong option.

Best of Luck!

Return to Questions and Answers office