MBAs and global turmoil!!!!

The foreign land - US / UK - has always allured us... Find discussions on global business schools here.

MBAs and global turmoil!!!!

Postby AkhilNikhil » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi all, I’m doing my BBM from Presidency college Chennai. I know that Global MBA will give a broader exposure and learn new things which I don’t get to learn in India. But there are many top B-schools in India as well. At this time of global turmoil is it worth spending money on international education because many economists say that MBAs have a tough time ahead.

Re: MBAs and global turmoil!!!!

Postby sunilediga » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:06 pm

Well it all depends on you dude. If you are good enough and lucky then Global turmoil will not stop you in getting a good job. MBA from US University will definitely help you in a long run. Go ahead.

MBA and the global crisis

Postby iim_2010 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Just as not all engineers are technically sound, there is a great deal of variation among the MBAs as well. I believe, the economists are referring to the 'MBAs' as a single class / breed, which leads to a very generalized statement (more correctly, an opinion) that should be taken with a pinch of salt.

A rising tide lifts all boats. So, I believe the 'good times' of 2002-06 saw the MBAs getting insane salaries, despite their probably mediocre output on the job. This is certainly not the case now, and people will be expected to prove their worth on a very stringent criteria. Many job functions demand the knowledge of core business areas such as finance, marketing, operations, and this necessity of knowledge will not change. Economic downturn would not mean that companies will hire an internship student as their operations manager, to cut costs :D The demand for talent always exists (yes, the salaries may be lowered).

Students should now be more careful about their investment in the MBA. You can get the MBA degree only once! And, the benefits of your learning experience will last for a lifetime, beyond any single economic cycle. An investment is evaluated based on its cost and returns. This holds true for the MBA degree as well. If the high cost of international degree justifies and outweighs the (expected) returns, go for it!

An exchange program is great option to get a taste of both the worlds.

Postby chaitanya » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:19 pm

MBA is one time investment, choose the right one. Get some advice from the experts and do your homework. Check out this site http://www.gei-india.com/ . Global education initiatives India offer a program for two weeks to prepare you for meeting the challenges of Global education. It’s definitely worth trying the link. All the best.

Postby AkhilNikhil » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:46 am

I like the idea about exchange program, Amu. Thank you all for responding so fast to my question. @chaitanya I checked the site for global education, looks interesting. At least I will get to know how it’s like to be at studying abroad, through the program they offer.

Exchange Programs with Presidency college, Chennai

Postby admin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:34 pm

Does Presidency college have exchange program partnership with schools abroad? If so, could you please share the list?

It would be great if you can submit a brief writeup on your college, with info. on courses, fees, admission process, placement statistics, etc. I'll publish it here in the "Schools" section.

Postby admin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Postby studiousjack » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Hey Nikhil, You're right, but there are many global B- schools in India too that offer MBA equivalent programs. Aegis Global Academy is offering a similar course which specializes in Customer Experience Management. You can check their course overview here: http://aegisglobalacademy.com/course-overview

Postby santosh12 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Gameplan is very nice institute for MBA help, CAT preparation and so on. visit on www.gameplanindia.com or call on the no. 9022190628/ 720.

Return to MBA Abroad